Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Cheesy Black Bean + Quinoa Taco Bake

For Lent this year, I've given up eating meat red meat ..ok, mammals. I started off saying red meat when explaining my decision to family and friends, and apparently there's a bit of confusion of what is considered red meat. So to clear all confusion (unless you're my friend Layla, who actually was caught saying 'Birds are mammals' hehehe), let's just say I'm giving up eating mammals, because..well, baby steps. I really REALLY love seafood and chicken :-)

One of my veg friends sent over this recipe and I must say, it was very tasty! I had Shannon over because this recipe makes enough for a family of 6 and I definitely can't eat that many helpings. 


Just kidding Shannon! Her one duty was to chop the avocado only because I don't know how to! I've never used an avocado in my cooking before, I don't even know how to peel it. (Do you even peel it?!?) But there is an apparent window of opportunity when an avocado is "ready" and this one, was not yet ready. Oops. Anyways, here's the recipe:


From Half Baked Harvest
Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
2 red bell peppers, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded + chopped (I only used one)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika or regular paprika (I used regular)
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
a good pinch of  cayenne pepper (more or less to your taste)
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 cups quinoa (use 2 1/2 cups for a larger dish)
2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed and drained if using canned
1 lime, juice (I did not use this)
1 cup Mexican beer or water (I used Dox Equis)
1 cup crushed tortilla chips
1/3 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
1/3 cup sharp white chedder, shredded
1 cup fontina, shredded

Toppings
1/2 cup fresh cilantro (I did not use this, I hate cilantro)
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 avocado, diced (Oops, I didn't use this)
1 head butter lettuce, chopped (I just used Iceberg shreds)
Queso fresco, crumbled
Blue or yellow corn tortilla chips


Click the link above for directions. It's quite easy once you've done all the prep work.
Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...