Monday, March 31, 2014

Instructions for a bad day

I came across a post on Instagram by the AWESOME (and now local) yogi, @tjhark linking me to a YouTube video- Instructions for a Bad Day
If you don't already follow him, you should - even if you're not into yoga icon wink C. Wonder Weekend Sale    40 50% of everything! TJ's light shines so bright and he's got great, uplifting things to say! Love him!


I listened to this on a day I needed it most. Some Mondays really kick you down. Last Monday, in particular was a rough one.

I was called "a weak woman."

If you know me, or know anything about me at all...this felt like the ultimate insult.
I'm not always cheerful. I second guess myself more often than I should and I don't always think the best of myself, even though it doesn't look like that on my social media. I'm actually my toughest critic; I've always been very hard on myself. And when I heard the worst things I think about myself, confirmed through another's mouth...it crushed me.
I know she didn't mean it to be so hurtful, she was trying to motivate me to do better because I'd made a lazy decision...and she was calling me out on it.

Listen up people, because this applies to everyone: if you want to motivate someone, you do not pick out their "flaws" as a means of encouragement, a way to say "You don't want to be like that anymore, DO YOU?!" "You know bikini season is right around the corner, RIGHT?!"

There's a thin line between being motivational, and being an asshole :-)
I've seen alot of this lately and this plague only seems to be growing. You've seen 'em. Gym memes:
"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"
"Unless you puke, faint, or die, keep going"
"Suck it up now and you won't have to suck it in later"
"You can feel sore tomorrow or you can feel sorry tomorrow. You choose"
..and my personal favorite, "What's your excuse?"


If these "motivational" quotes work for you, great! Make it your phone's wallpaper. But quit making everyone else feel bad just to build yourself up.

What the person who said I was a weak woman, and the people who judge others for not leading a lifestyle exactly as theirs, have in common is: they are bullies. And just like a schoolyard bully, these people are fighting their own personal battles.

"Feeling kicked? Feeling down? Landed hard and don't know which way is up? Stop. Breath. Find your grace and enjoy the struggle. Feel yourself getting stronger and learning. No matter how long it takes or how hard it might seem, GET. BACK. UP. Then, shine on." TJ Harkness

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...