Friday, August 15, 2014

Charleston James Island Connector Run

JIC run 2013

This past November, I ran the Charleston James Island Connector Run as a race ambassador with my family, Shanna, and Shannon. It was such a well organized event and benefits a great cause, the Gavalas Kolanko Foundation. It's a partnership of local Charleston sponsors with CofC, CSU, The Citadel, TTC, and the Art Institute to provide scholarships to students with disabilities. As a rehabilitation counselor, you know this is near and dear to my heart and is important for me be involved with in my community. I plan on running it again this year and I've been looking forward to it literally since I finished the race last year!





As an ambassadorI was able to meet the recipients of last year's GKF scholarship and speak with each student individually about their plans for college. The kids blew me away! I had a chance to talk with a few families of these brilliant students, two parents in particular who were lighting up the entire room with their smiles. I knew immediately who their son was in the group of 13 recipients. He was smiling even bigger than they were, and it was so contagious I found myself grinning ear to ear! They talked about how proud they were of him, how smart he was, and what he wanted to do when he graduated college. This was a BIG deal for them. For several students with disabilities, the cost of medical equipment and disability management is an issue. This foundation extends the opportunity for a college education to students who may otherwise not have the funds. I don't run the race to break records (because Lord know I'm slow as molasses). I run the race for these kids! The 6 hills are just an added bonus ;-)

There's a 5k and 10k run/walk option, as well as a 10k bike before the runners start. The race features stunning views of the Charleston peninsula via the James Island Connector, normally not a bridge pedestrians are allowed to run on! The race itself is big enough that you feel this inspiring sense of community, yet small enough that the crowd isn't overwhelming (unlike other bridge runs *ahem*) icon wink C. Wonder Weekend Sale    40 50% of everything!




Use discount code: Melissa14 at checkout for 20% off


If you don't want to run/walk, but still want to be involved, volunteers are needed to fill lots of roles before, during, and after the race! Sign up here to volunteer!

(No, I did not mean to rhyme)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...